Saturday, February 10, 2007

rant: Fast Forward and Mute

Tonight I briefly realized that we are a generation with remote control relationships. If someone is doing something around us that we don't want to bother with, we'll place them on mute. Everything is still going on but we are able to silence them to ensure our comfort and mask our desire for apathy. If someone is saying something we don't agree or feel is useless, we'll fast forward to the part where we get to speak and it's almost like they said nothing at all.

I do this often. Instead of listening [and awkwardly so at times] I'll be planning out what I'm going to be saying next. Sure, I'll catch a word here and there but I'm not actually listening I'm more plotting out how I can sell my viewpoint. Why would we want to sit through something that agitates us? Oh, that's right... cause the only way to change is to deal with stuff outside of yourself. We attached ourselves to theology, politics, music, and people that are like us... maybe we need to try to do the opposite more. Perhaps that will both help us to understand a perspective that is not centered on self and solidify concepts that are nothing more in their current state than a shell.

Too little critical thinking and you gain ignorance, too much and your gain arrogance; neither of which are virtues.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess it just goes to show how important it is for us to keep our eyes on Jesus. Sink or float, everything else fades.

Anonymous said...

Too little critical thinking and you gain ignorance, too much and your gain arrogance; neither of which are virtues.

Great word brother.

Anonymous said...

People should read this.