Saturday, May 26, 2007

s|ice: Memorial Day Weekend

Three day weekend. Enough said about that.

A few of us are going to see a Five o'Clock People concert tomorrow in Tacoma... man I missed those guys. We'll probably go early and bum around Seattle for the afternoon. Last night Naomi, James and I played at a cafe/art event called Untold Tales. It was a fun evening... a little nerve racking until we got done playing... but good overall.

Tomorrow it will be a year since mom died. I've been doing okay with it, I think. Old blog entries will be reminisced over and I'll check in on the fam. I wrote an article about a few weeks ago to get out just some of the thoughts of the ordeal. Relevant magazine online picked it up a put it on their site the other day. You can read it at http://www.relevantmagazine.com/life_article.php?id=7437.

Finished C.S. Lewis' Out of a Silent Planet a few weeks ago. It was the first fictional book I've read in years. I think I like fiction more than I thought, especially when it's saying something that you can take or leave but doesn't effect the quality of the story... like Naomi said today, it works a different part of your brain. I liked many aspects of the book and will hopefully start on Perelandra in a few days. The only thing that was generic about it was the ending. It was kind of the same feeling I had with the ending of The Great Divorce; it seemed sudden, forced and non creative - like he knew he had to end it somehow but didn't know how. Still, good book.
It would be a strange but not an inconceivable world; heroism and poetry at the bottom, cold scientific intellect above it, and over topping all some dark superstition which scientific intellect, helpless against the revenge of the emotional depths it had ignored, had neither will nor power to remove.
One of our car's took a poop... there was so much smoke coming out of the thing that Naomi, who was following behind me couldn't see the car in front of her... and after it stalled and we had to push it two blocks we knew we had to lay it to rest. So now I have a bicycle which was purchased just today. It's a three birds with one stone thing: I'll ride to work a few times a week [10 miles one way], get exercise out of it, and slow down a bit. It'll be a pain at times, for sure. But it's a good time at the place I'm at in thoughts of holistic living, consumerism and the theology of enough.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Hope you feel better soon, dude! Get better eh?

PS - thanks for letting me come to the concert with y'all... soooo memorable. That Michael Knott... who knew?

joi said...

hey hear you're not doing so well.

get better kido.

get better soon.

Anonymous said...

heard you are sick in the hospital- hope those docs can fix you up soon! And I like your idea of riding a bike (although it might not work out with your bowel problems for a while???)... I'm kinda at the same place as far as consumerism and living simply goes... (Joel & I share a car and are continuing to do so).

Bruno Andrews said...

Great to hear from you Justin. Man, it's been a while yeah? I would love to come out there and visit. If I may invite myself sometime when I actually have the money to fly out there.

Things have been good with the photo biz but just barely self-sustaining.

Let's keep in touch!