Saturday, September 15, 2007

To China With Love

Naomi and I are heading out to china in a few days. It's kind of crazy... I know we are leaving but it doesn't really feel like it. The past few weeks have been stressful in getting ready, but things have settled down. You can read more about our dealing with preparation on Silhouette.

I was able to get away with a buddy for two nights and go camping and hiking. The weather was beautiful, the hikes were awesome, and there didn't feel like any rush to do anything (which i what I needed).

I also started a Briercrest in their distance learning program for a Bible Certificate (33 credits). I'm almost done to the introduction seminar and will be working on the Spiritual Formation coursework while in China. I've liked it so far and feel like the intro class is preparing me to complete the certificate (there is a 70% attrition rate for distance education programs). I'll be taking my time but being persistent... hope to finish in 2 years or so and then look into some graphic design certs and journalism classes. We'll see.

It was eight years ago today that I was reborn into redemption by the blood, Spirit, and grace of Jesus. I re-read some part of an old classic for me, The Normal Christian Life. I leave you with some words from Brother Nee before heading out to China.

I appreciate the blessed fact of God's forgiveness, but I want something more than that: I want deliverance. I need forgivness for what I have done, but I need also deliverance from what I am.

God makes it quite clear in His Word that He has only one answer to every human need - His son, Jesus Christ. In all His dealings with us He works by taking us out of the way and substituting Christ in our place. The Son of God died instead of us for our forgivness: He lives instead of us for our deliverance. So we can speak of two substitutions - a Substitute on the Cross who secures our forgivness and a Substitute within who secures our victory. It will help us greatly, and save us from much confusion, if we keep constantly before us this fact, that God will answer all our questions in one way and one way only, namely, by showing us more of His son.

No comments: