Thursday, October 26, 2006

@echo: Good Monsters

Don't shun me or anything, but I went into the Christian bookstore the other day looking for VisualGrace. Though my searching for that book turned out void, I did pick up Lewis' Miracles which I will eventually dive into one of these days. I also heard a familiar song mixed with a familiar voice over the in-store radio... of which I never heard the two dance together before. The song happened to be All My Tears, a Julie Miller tune that I heard a few years ago on Austin City Limits [or maybe it was one of the many songs I stumbled on to as I illegally downloaded from Kazzaa.] The voice was Dan Haseltine from JOC. It is a mighty fine cover I must say... "better" than the original even. So after a few minutes listening to the following songs Naomi and I bought the album and have been enjoying it consistently. We don't have any other Jars album... I use to have the live/greatest hits one but that got lost in the shuffle between east and west coast. I have been disappointed with the whole of their previous albums is the past, though each album always boast a good song or two; their debut was great. Good Monsters is a nice surprise with drive, some melancholy reflection, and rememberable hooks.

Top picks on the album are the opening track Work [do you know what I mean when i say i don't want to be alone // all the demons look like prophets and i'm living out every word they say] and the resurrection of All My Tears [the wound this world left on my soul will all be healed and I'll be whole]. Over all my favorite track though is Surprise. The line, for a second i thought i saw your eyelids rise the moment something restless caught you by surprise, simultaneously reminds me of my mother who passed away a few months ago and of the feeling of a mysterious morning where a soul is stirred to someOne more; where the beginning of the end of the addiction of apathy has happened.
Love is wild for reasons

4 comments:

joi said...

i'll have to check this out j.

Seth Thomas said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

glad you found some jars of clay that you like. i think this is a great album, but they had me at hello. hope you're doing well. let's grab coffee soon, maybe next week?

Anonymous said...

Hey Justin. I'll have to listen to this one. How in the world are you guys? It seems like ya'll are on the other side of this nation!?